Friday, September 29, 2006

Fuck yeah, you Goddamned right!


I might have mentioned before that the Dicks played at the same American Legion Hall as the Crucifix show and this would have been in Dec of 1983 or early 1984. I remember it was cold and it was a Sunday night show, 4 bands on the bill (always one too many bands on the bill), and our parents were only so cool - cool enough to let us go but not cool enough to allow us to stumble home at midnight or beyond on a school night. So I and my friends saw 3 of the 4 bands, some metal band, the Hostages, Flaming Lips and then had to leave before the Dicks started.

But as a consolation prize I got a tape copy of their set that night, either from Dave Fallis or Bill/Brown 25 (who can be heard shouting what was his signature approval at the end of the first song here and is the title of this post). To my great delight (and hopefully yours) I found it again last night about 2 AM.

Kill From The Heart was a hugely influential album in OK at the time, them and the Big Boys were considered almost local bands (though I somehow missed ever seeing either one of them)...but really, we loved almost *any* band that came through town and played since there were so few. The Dicks had relocated to San Francisco by this time but we still thought of them as a Texas band.

This show was held in the front room of the hall, the one with all the Legionaires' pictures in it and there's an interesting between song bit when Gary starts talking about the pictures of the people on the walls.

The band had shown up (think they were running late) not too long before we had to leave and I spoke with Gary Floyd for awhile outside. Believe I received the usual lockeroom "he likes you" gay jokes or something from my buddies on the way home. Boy, you write one song about little boy's feet and wear a dress and the next thing you know you've got a reputation.

Well, at least I still have the tape and a solid 27 minutes of the set. 22 or 23 years later it kicked my ass again, you Goddamned right!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

t'was my tape i loaned ya!

i remember it was a great recording.

can i git a copy?

billius brownus

1/03/2007 8:16 PM  
Blogger ZubZub said...

Ah ha, Mr. Brown lives! I will sleep with a smile on my face tonight.
You'll be happy to note that your quote phrase above is the link to the tape...it's all one track unfortunately...and yes, you goddamned right it's a *great* recording, done on your Brown 25 boom box??

1/03/2007 9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home