Tuesday, September 05, 2006

a gift from gremmy

a few weeks ago i saw my friend jon, who i've known since second grade, and he handed me a 45 that knocked my socks off. an autographed test pressing of the seditionaries one and only release - wherewolf.

the seditionaries were an LA punk band circa 1979-82. i was the singer. it all started with bike rides to the whiskey to see the screamers and ended after playing in places like the cathay de grande, godzillas, a bowling alley, a country bar, a latino bar (where someone threw a table at the band and broke my girlfriend's nose); and opening for bands such as the alleycats, 45 grave, circle jerks, minutemen, bad religion, tsol, etc. our crowning achievment was opening for the damned at godzilla's and rat scabies sitting in on a cover of new rose to end our set (with my friend jon playing a keyboard that wasn't plugged in yelling "turn up the keyboards" between every song - i wish i could remember why we called him "gremmy"). the single, our lone release was issued in 1982. i once found a punk collector geek at a record convention who had two copies; but wouldn't sell me one even after i told him it was my band. he said he'd only trade it for something he needed...so i'm guessing it must be pretty rare. i always liked the b-side which was a cover version of the yardbirds shapes of things better than the a-side so here it is...flyers and stories to come

shapes of things

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've always liked this single too - never really knew much about the band and not sure if I even saw them back in the old days, but I've had this record since it came out and am happy someone has told us the story and digitized one of the tracks ... any chance to get the flipside too?

3/13/2007 2:19 PM  
Blogger Jono said...

I recall seeing your band at the Cathay Grande in the winter of 1982. I was visiting LA and it looked to be the strangest show happening that night. I really enjoyed it - so much that I recalled the name and was able to google it almost 30 years later! If I recall, you channeled Bauhaus really well, getting a gothic tone without just covering them, you had original songs. I learned a lot just watching your guitarist that evening

8/31/2010 9:36 AM  
Blogger ann said...

hi there im very sorry to bother you...this was one of my favorites back in the day and i was wondering if it isnt to much trouble to post wherewolf...god i have looked EVERYWHERE and i cannot find this record...it would be so much apprecited....a

1/21/2012 7:42 PM  
Blogger sroden said...

hi ann and danny,
i don't really want to post wherewolf, but if you send me your email, i'll forward an mp3.

1/21/2012 9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home